The first step of a child’s rest of the life begins at a preschool, we all try our best to provide our young ones the best start into their academics knowing that “well began is half done”. Growing up we all have heard our teachers and parents put a lot of emphasis on the importance of the basics, and I am pretty sure that at some point of time we have heard from our teachers to go back to the basics when in confusion, so it’s only fair that we build the basic of our children as strong as a rock, which brings us back to the very start of their education “The Preschool”.
Before we start, we must keep in mind that the first step of a child’s life into pre-schooling should be a “Transition and not a shock”.
Let’s Make the schooling journey of our children a delightful transitional experience-
1. Distance- The question to answer here is would you like your child to commute between long distance twice a day away from parents? Starting school is a new experience for the child thus, it’s important for the child to feel comfortable during this transitional stage. It’s better to choose pre-school with distance which limit the commuting time to maximum 15 minutes.
2. School Campus- The Pre-school doesn’t need to be huge or lavish rather more child centric with the necessary safety protocol in place which includes security, CCTV surveillance, and Fire safety compliant. Keeping in mind that your child will be spending 2 to 3 hours in school, the classrooms should be spacious and well lit with decent outdoor play area, hygienic washroom with dedicated attendants are few essential things to look for.
3. Teachers and Faculty- Teachers are the second parents who are responsible for your child’s well-being and education. It is important that you meet the school faculty and spend time interacting with them before taking admission, once you are convinced by the teachers, you could proceed with admission , knowing that your child will be in the most adequate care.
4. Communication – A good preschool usually maintains a regular and a transparent channel of communication with the parent community. Parents should always be kept in loop regarding the happenings of a child’s academics, a school which encourages parents participation on a regular basis is the way to go.
5. Curriculum- A preschool curriculum does NOT need to be purchased from a store rather the director and teachers should know the goals for each age group in the preschool. These goals should be appropriate for the child’s ages, as a preference schools which willingly share a sample of their curriculum is a good option.
6. Teaching Methodology- Before the child gets involved in mainstream academics, skills essential for a child’s development need to be refined, which will shape their personality and help them in the long run. Therefore, it is advised to discuss with the pre-school and find out the kind of activities that are done in school, if they are play-based, the subjects that will be covered.
7. Does the school provide snacks?- Eating together in school helps children in developing appropriate social skills and improves their eating habits, do ask what kind of snacks they provide and whether appropriate hygiene standard is maintained or not.
your child deserves the best, so find out every possible detail and accordingly make an informed decision and while doing so keep these points as essentials in your pocket to use it as point of reference to ask the right questions.
Free Worksheet Download for age group 18 month to 3 years. Click here
Free Worksheet Download for age group 3 years to 4.5 years. Click here
Free Worksheet Download for age group 4.5 years to 6 years. Click here
click on our youtube link to get access to our free learning video-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL6KfCFz5vkU4DBTHl1OCHQ